Annual Gynecology Exam in East Syracuse, NY
What to Expect For Your First Annual Gynecological Exam
In order to maintain a healthy reproductive system and sexual health, it is recommended for females to visit their gynecologist for an exam on an annual basis. There are a few things to keep in mind before having your first annual exam. The OBGYNs at CNY Women’s Healthcare are dedicated to providing high-quality, personalized care to women throughout Syracuse. Call (301) 681-3400 to schedule an appointment at our OBGYN office in East Syracuse today!
How should I prepare for my exam?
The most important thing to do before your first gynecological exam is research. Women should be prepared to discuss their family medical history and be ready for questions about their menstrual cycle. Some of the most commonly asked questions your provider may ask include:
- When was your last period?
- How long does your period typically last?
- What age did you start your period?
- Are you sexually active?
What should I expect for my annual exam?
The pelvic exam only lasts a few minutes and the exam itself doesn’t hurt. Most physicians will explain the process before beginning the exam, asking questions throughout the process is encouraged. The pelvic exam consists of the following steps:
- Your gynecologist will typically begin the annual exam with a breast exam to check for lumps that may be a sign of cancer and require further breast cancer screening.
- Your physician will then check the external genital area for irritations, cysts or other problems.
- Next, the physician will insert a speculum, which is an instrument that is used to examine the cervix and vaginal walls. During this time, the gynecologist will also conduct a pap smear to check for cancerous and pre-cancerous cells.
- The last step in the physical exam is for the physician to check the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries by inserting gloved fingers into the vagina and pressing on the abdomen.
Not only does the annual exam ensure that you maintain good gynecological health, but it is also an opportunity for you to catch health problems in the early stages.
Schedule an Annual Gynecology Exam in East Syracuse, NY Today!
The highly trained OBGYNs at CNY Women’s Healthcare are dedicated to providing the highest quality of care to women throughout East Syracuse, NY. All of our providers have extensive experience performing routine well-woman exams. Call (315) 446-4400 to schedule an appointment at our OBGYN office in East Syracuse today!