Breast Cancer Screening in Syracuse, NY
What is Breast Cancer?
Breast cancer is a disease in which cancer cells grow in the breast tissue.
The physicians at CNY Women’s Healthcare have the experience and expertise to provide you with breast exam for the detection of breast cancer. If you have noticed any un usual changes in your breast or would like to schedule your annual exam, please call (315) 446-4400 or request an appointment online to schedule a consultation at our gynecology office in Syracuse, NY. If an abnormality is detected our providers have the resources to refer you to a specialist for further testing.
Breast Cancer Statistics
- A woman’s chance of developing breast cancer sometime in her life is approximately 1 in 8
- The chance that breast cancer will be responsible for a woman’s death is about 1 in 33
What Causes Breast Cancer?
The cause of breast cancer is unknown, but research shows that certain risk factors are associated with the disease.
What Are The Risk Factors of Breast Cancer?
Note – Research has shown that most women with known risk factors do not get breast cancer and that many women who get breast cancer have none of the risk factors listed below.
- Caucasian women, age 50 or older
- Personal or family history of breast cancer
- Changes in breast tissue
- Changes in certain genes
- Increased exposure to estrogen over a lifetime through:
- Early-onset of menstruation
- Late-onset of menopause
- No childbearing or late childbearing
- Absence of breastfeeding
- Taking hormone replacement therapy for extended periods of time
- Tobacco use
- Increased breast density
- Radiation therapy before the age of 30
- Overuse of alcohol
- Physical Inactivity
- 100 times more common in women than in men
- 2nd leading cause of cancer death in women (second to lung cancer)
- Most common form of cancer in women other than skin cancer
- Increases as a women ages
- Approx. 77% of women with breast cancer are over age 50 when they are diagnosed
- 18% are diagnosed in their 40’s
How To Detect Breast Cancer?
Because the cause of breast cancer is unknown, finding and treating it early is the best method of prevention.
- Breast Self Exam
- Women 20 or older should perform every month
- Clinical Breast Exam by a Physician
- Women age 20-39 should have one every 3 years
- Women over 40 should have one annually
- Can identify a breast mass as much as 2 years before it can be detected by touch
- Breast MRI
- Breast Biopsy
How Is Breast Cancer Treated?
Typical treatments of breast cancer include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy and biologic therapy.
For more information regarding breast cancer please visit:
What Is the Breast Cancer Survival Rate?
- Early detection and treatment of breast cancer is the key to survival
- When breast cancer is detected before it has spread to lymph nodes, the 5-year survival rate is 97%
Schedule a Breast Exam in Syracuse, NY Today
The highly trained OBGYNs at CNY Women’s Healthcare are dedicated to providing the highest quality of care to women throughout East Syracuse, NY. All of our providers have extensive experience performing breast cancer screenings. If you notice a change in your breast health or would like to schedule a routine screening, please call (315) 446-4400 to schedule an appointment at our gynecology office in East Syracuse today!