Ultrasound Imaging in Syracuse, NY
What is Ultrasound Imaging?
Ultrasound imaging, also called sonography, is a method of obtaining diagnostic images from inside the human body through the use of high frequency sound waves. Utrasonography is used as a diagnostic tool that can assist OBGYNs with making recommendations for further treatment. The OBGYNs at CNY Women’s Healthcare offer the latest in ultrasound imaging technology and are dedicated to providing high quality, personalized care to women throughout Syracuse. To schedule a consultation at our OBGYN office in Syracuse, please call (301) 681-3400 or request an appointment through our secure online form today!
What are some common uses of Ultrasound
- Viewing an unborn fetus.
- Examining many of the body’s internal organs, including the heart, liver, gallbladder, spleen, pancreas, kidneys, and bladder.
- Show movement of internal tissues and organs, enable physicians to see blood flow and heart valve functions.
- Used to guide procedures such as needle biopsies.
- Image the breast and to guide biopsy of breast cancer.
- Evaluate superficial structures, such as the thyroid gland and scrotum (testicles).
How should I prepare for an Ultrasound?
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing.
- Depending on the type of ultrasound exam you have, you will be asked:
- Not to eat or drink for up to 12 hours before your appointment, or
- Drink up to six glasses of water two hours prior to your exam and avoid urinating. This will ensure a full bladder when the exam begins.
What should I expect during this exam?
The examination usually takes less than 30 minutes. After being positioned on the exam table, a clear gel is applied in the area being examined. This helps the transducer make contact with the skin. The technologist firmly presses the transducer against the skin and moves it back and forth to image the area of interest.
Generally, the technologist is able to review the ultrasound images in real-time or, when the examination is complete and the gel is wiped off, you may be asked to dress and wait while the ultrasound images are reviewed, either on film or monitor.
What will I experience during the procedure?
Most ultrasound exams are painless. The gel applied to your skin may be a bit cold and there may be varying degrees of discomfort and pressure as the technologist guides the transducer over your abdomen, especially if you are required to have a full bladder.
For more information on this topic, please visit www.Radiologyinfo.org.
Schedule Your Obstetrical Ultrasound in East Syracuse Today
If you are currently pregnant and would like to schedule your obstetrical ultrasound, contact CNY Women’s Healthcare to schedule your appointment with our board-certified obstetricians. To schedule your ultrasound appointment at our OBGYN office in Syracuse, NY, please call (315) 446-4400 or request an appointment through our secure online form today!
Ultrasound Imaging: Mayo Clinic