Questions to Ask Your Obstetrician During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is an exciting time. You’ll probably have lots of pregnancy questions for your OBGYN throughout your 40-week journey. Here are some important questions to ask your obstetrician at each stage of your pregnancy. When it comes to pregnancy, CNY Women’s Healthcare is here for you every step along the way. Our OBGYNs are dedicated to providing the highest quality of obstetric care and will take the time to answer all of your questions. Call (315) 446-4400 to request a prenatal visit at our OBGYN office in East Syracuse today!
8 Week Appointment
Your first appointment will fall somewhere between weeks 8 and 10. Be sure to ask:
- What pregnancy symptoms should I expect?
- How much weight should I gain during pregnancy and at what trimester?
- What should I add to my diet or try to avoid? And what prenatal vitamins or supplements do you recommend?
- Which over-the-counter or prescription medications are safe for me to take?
- What exercise os okay for me during pregnancy?
- Is it okay to feel cramping or have some spotting? What’s considered normal and when should I call you?
12 Week Appointment
This month’s appointment falls toward the end of the first trimester. Your baby will be getting bigger and your body will be feeling some changes.
- I’m still feeling morning sickness, is this normal?
- Why am I having heartburn?
- How can I help limit stretch marks, and what lotions are safe for my baby?
- What are Kegels, and how can they help my recovery after childbirth?
- Is my vaginal discharge normal?
16 Week Appointment
By this time, your obstetrician might recommend some tests, including an ultrasound.
- How do I find a pediatrician?
- My gums are bleeding and they haven’t before — should I be worried?
- What’s the best way to deal with constipation?
- Is my weight on target and what kind of safe exercise can I still do?
20 Week Appointment
You’re roughly halfway through your pregnancy. Your ultrasound might tell if you’re having a boy or a girl if you wish to find out. Other questions to think about:
- What’s the best diet plan for me, three meals a day or several small meals and snacks?
- Why am I getting leg cramps at night, and how can I make them better?
- My ankles and feet are swelling — is that normal?
- Why does my back hurt?
- What treatments are safe for my new discomforts?
24 Week Appointment
Your body’s still changing, the baby’s still growing, and you’ll still have some questions.
- How long can I keep working and should I be changing how I do my job?
- What’s the best yeast infection treatment during pregnancy?
- I feel like I’m having contractions — they don’t hurt, but should I worry about them?
- What is this discoloration in my face — will it go away?
- Why are my hands and wrists hurting?
28 Week Appointment
As you reach the end of the second trimester, your appointments will likely become more frequent.
- My feet, ankles and hands are even more swollen — when do I have to worry about preeclampsia?
- I’ve been feeling a bit dizzy — is this normal?
- What is this shooting pain down the back of my legs? How can I treat my sciatica?
- Would a pelvic-support belt help with the pain I’m feeling in my pelvis?
- Do I need to worry about Rh factor incompatibility for my child?
32-36 Weeks Appointments
The next several appointments, until week 36, will probably be set for every two weeks. There are a lot of questions to ask your OBGYN before delivery, including:
- What are the benefits of breastfeeding versus bottle-feeding, and which is better for me?
- What is cord blood, and should we consider banking it?
- What should I expect during labor and delivery?
- What kind of pain plan will be best for my delivery?
- What should I pack in my baby bag?
- What are the signs of early labor?
The Final Stretch
By week 36, you’ll be having weekly visits with your obsetrician until your labor. Here are some final questions to ask as you approach your baby’s birth:
- When will my baby be ready to deliver?
- Am I likely to need a C-section or episiotomy?
- What help might I need for breastfeeding?
Request an Obstetrical Appointment Today!
If you are seeking prenatal care or have any obstetrical questions, contact CNY Women’s Health to meet with our obstetricians. To schedule your consultation at our OBGYN office in Syracuse, please call (315) 446-4400 or request an appointment online using our secure form.