Colposcopy Procedure in Syracuse, NY
The purpose of a Colposcopy is to examine the cervix for indications of cervical cancer. In most cases, this procedure is performed on women whose pap test has returned with abnormal results. The highly trained OBGYNs at CNY Women’s Healthcare have extensive experience performing the colposcopy procedure and will answer any questions you may have concerning the procedure. If you are looking for further testing after an abnormal pap smear, please call (315) 446-4400 or request an appointment through our secure online form to schedule your visit at our OBGYN office in East Syracuse today!
What is your gynecologist Looking For?
Your gynecologist will use an imaging device, called a colposcope, to look for irregular cervical tissue. A cervix with potentially cancerous tissue may have white patches, warts, polyps or swelling. In these instances, a sample will be taken and tested.
A healthy cervix will appear pink and smooth. If everything looks normal, additional tests may be needed to determine the cause of the irregular pap results.
Preparing for the Test
There is little preparation needed for a Colposcopy. However, before having this test performed, it is highly recommended that you:
- Abstain from sex 24 to 48 hours before the procedure.
- Do not insert any products, such as tampons, into your vagina.
- Ensure the procedure date does not fall during your period.
Will it Hurt?
Some discomfort may be felt when a mild solution is used to clean and dry the cervix, but the Colposcopy should not hurt since the colposcope does not touch you. If a sample is needed, you may feel a slight pinching feeling as tissue is collected.
After the Procedure
For those who did not have a sample taken:
- No restrictions will be placed on your activity.
- Light bleeding or spotting may occur for a day or two.
For those who did have a sample taken:
- Avoid intercourse or using tampons for at least a week.
- Vaginal pain or discomfort may last a few days.
- Light bleeding may be present for a few days.
- You may notice dark vaginal discharge immediately following the Colposcopy.
Schedule a Colposcopy Appointment in East Syracuse Today!
If you have had an abnormal pap smear and you are interested in learning more about the colposcopy procedure for additional testing, contact CNY Women’s Healthcare to meet with our gynecologist. To schedule an appointment for a Colposcopy at our OBGYN office in East Syracuse, please call (315) 446-4400 or request an appointment through our secure online form.